Tuesday, March 22, 2011

End-of-the-Year Drama

Episode 1: Early on a Saturday morning (December 11), Daddy woke up with sharp pains in his abdomen....lower left side to be exact. He was moaning at the foot of the bed. Mommy asked him if he needed to go to the hospital. Daddy resisted until finally (20 minutes later), he couldn't take it anymore. Mommy got ready, then got me ready (she even changed my clothes - which just made Daddy shake his head at her - LOL). We made it to the ER and were there for about 2 hours...Daddy had kidney stones! Mommy better not need to go to the ER anytime soon...maybe that's why Mommy dresses me in "decent" clothes to sleep in. HA HA!

Episode 2: In the middle of December, I had a strange, red rash on my chest....so I couldn't go to the sitter in case I was contagious. Mom took me to the doctor and we waited, and waited...and waited. This was the first time that I was "naked" in the office and it was cold, but I don't like blankets! Luckily, there was a toy to keep me occupied.


Episode 3: Sedation procedure before my echocardiogram.... So, doc says I have a heart murmur...doesn't sound serious, but because I'm not growing as fast as I should be, we should get it checked out. And because I'm a little guy, I probably won't lie still through the procedure, so I need to be sedated! But before I can get sedated, I need to get a pre-op clearance from my doc. He says I'm good to go....then the day before the procedure, I get a fever! Oh no! Cancel the echo, reschedule. Three days after Christmas: my big outpatient procedure. The first attempt at hooking up the back of my hand to an IV was a breeze -- I didn't even cry. The nurses were so impressed with how smooth everything went and were trying to move up my echo time - unsuccessfully, which turned out to be a good thing because...I saw something really tempting poking out of the "guard" fashioned out of a diaper...the IV tubes! I just couldn't resist tugging on them to take a closer look. Poof, it was out of my hand, but into the other. The nurses were SUPER surprised and assured Mom that it looked worse than it really was (in terms of blood loss) and that the odds of this situation happening EVER was REALLY slim! (Mom totally saw it coming though...Mother's instinct?? I think not - hide the thing better!)

Anyway, then the nurses had to find another vein to run an IV in...didn't have much luck with my other hand, so they had to find one in my elbow crease. I DID NOT like that at all and because I kept screaming and moving, they had a hard time getting it into place...so it took even longer. The nurses were getting worried because it was getting close to the echo time. Finally, I calmed down and voila, it was in place! Quick - wrap it up and hide everything! Sedation medicine...a BIG yawn.....and zzzzzzzzzzz....... This is what I looked like after I woke up.



Here Mom: look what I found. (Told you I like to touch EVERYTHING!)


I was starving when I woke up because I had to "fast" for 12 hours prior which I mostly slept through. :)
Thank goodness 2010 is done...hopefully, we'll have better health in 2011 and beyond.

Oh, BTW - the results of the echo showed that everything's normal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment